Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Applies professional scientific knowledge and testing in a laboratory environment. Performs well-defined experiments to studies of a complex nature within a specific scientific discipline. Scientist is responsible for completing tasks, solving most of the associated technical problems independently with guidance from lead scientist. May be required to coordinate the assignment with others working on related phases of a problem. Must use judgment to evaluate and adapt laboratory requirements/guidelines to customer specifications and testing needs. Because of the critical nature of the support provided, extended working hours (including weekends and holidays) are often mandatory.
Operates with a degree of independence under established policies and procedures. Normally receives sufficient guidance from Laboratory Lead, Senior Scientist to assure coordination of efforts with other personnel working on related phases of the program. Maintains infrequent technical liaison with customers, their representatives, and contact with other laboratory professional/scientific personnel.
Primary/Major Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Performs professional assignments within a specific scientific discipline. Applies scientific knowledge and methodology to experiments or studies designed to yield solutions to testing or development problems. Pursues investigations into new or promising scientific fields, to assess their applicability to existing programs or potential areas of company activities.
- Evaluates, and implements process plans and methods for techniques suitable for day-to-day use on a routine basis. These techniques may involve adaptation of classical techniques to new situations, or new approaches.
- Performs assignments independently or with others under general guidance from higher-level scientists or management. Receives technical guidance on unusual or complex problems.
- Participates in providing innovative approaches to technical problems, contributes to the overall increase in lab efficiency through adaptive thought and information exchanges
- Guides and trains assigned personnel as required and advises supervisory personnel of their progress.
- Reviews the results of tests in relation to the reliability, completeness, and accuracy of the test and methods employed. Submits dispositions relative to the results of this analysis.
- Performs light repairs, maintenance, and preventive maintenance on complex equipment as necessary to keep in good stable working condition.
- Consults on matters relating to an acquired scientific specialty. Participates in resolving technical problems and collaborates with colleagues in methods development and validation.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist other departments when required
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science
- Three (3) years of directly related experience working in an analytical laboratory preferred.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master of Science
- Experience using
- IR spectrometers
- Gas Chromatographs
- Material / Mechanical Testing equipment (e.g., hardness, tensile strength, etc.)
- Optical and electron microscopy
- Skilled in operating and calibrating analytical laboratory instrumentation
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team setting
- Capable of handling multiple projects and meeting deadlines (e.g. unplanned overtime)
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication
- Efficient computer skills, including knowledge of the Microsoft software suite – image processing (combining and editing multiple image signals)
- Professional knowledge of chemical principles, theories, practices, and established methodology sufficient to perform chemical analyses on a wide variety of samples.
- Must be able to pass and maintain the NASA background check.
- Must be able to lift and carry 40 lbs. on a regular basis.